Law Attorney Aaron Hughes
Aaron Hughes has been a commercial litigator in the Denver/Boulder area for the thirty years, handling a wide variety of intellectual property actions, securities fraud claims, contract disputes, and other complex commercial litigation matters. He has extensive experience at both the trial and appellate levels, from small matters for individual clients through billion-dollar disputes between large corporations. He has briefed and argued cases before the United States Supreme Court and the Colorado Supreme Court.
Read More About Aaron Hughes
Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley
J.D. , 1990
Best Oralist Award
University of California, Los Angeles
B.A. in Economics with a Specialization in Computing, 1987
Magna Cum Laude
- Briefed and argued Sutton v. United Air Lines, Inc., 527 U.S. 471 (1999), interpreting the Americans with Disabilities Act, before the United States Supreme Court.
- Prepared winning briefs to the United States Supreme Court in Central Bank of Denver v. First Interstate Bank of Denver, 511 U.S. 164 (1994), a landmark securities fraud decision.
- Briefed and argued Griswold v. National Federation of Independent Business, 449 P.3d 373 (Colo. 2019), interpreting Colorado’s Taxpayer Bill of Rights, before the Colorado Supreme Court.
- Prepared winning briefs to the Colorado Supreme Court in Bristol Bay Productions, LLC v. Lampack, 312 P.3d 1155 (Colo. 2013), a multimillion-dollar dispute over the film Sahara.
- Prepared winning briefs to the Colorado Supreme Court in Dunlap v. Colorado Springs Cablevision, Inc., 829 P.2d 1286 (Colo. 1992), an antitrust class action.
- Prepare winning briefs to the Nevada Supreme Court in action enforcing First Amendment rights under Nevada’s anti-SLAPP statute.
- Briefed and argued Parker Excavating, Inc. v. LaFarge W., Inc., 863 F.3d 1213 (10th Cir. 2017), defeating employment discrimination claim, before the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Briefed patent infringement issues in multiple federal district courts and Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented investors in securities fraud jury trial in Denver district court, obtaining multimillion-dollar recovery.
- Represented defendant in construction defect jury trial in Arapahoe district court, defeating seven-figure damage claim and achieving six-figure recovery on counterclaim.
- Represented plaintiff in series of hearings before New York Supreme Court, obtaining injunctive relief enjoining defendant from competing with client using disputed trade secrets.
- Authored legal articles in Securities News and Employment & Labor Relations Law.
- Member of the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, with publications in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Orson Scott Card’s InterGalactic Medicine Show, Writers of the Future Vol. 27, and other publications.