Law Attorney Scott Brenner
Scott Brenner is a Member of Thomas P. Howard, LLC. His practice focuses on all aspects of trademark prosecution and litigation, unfair competition, domain name disputes, copyrights, and related protection of intellectual property. Scott handles all areas of trademark prosecution and litigation, copyright registration and enforcement, and unfair competition disputes. He is admitted to the Colorado Bar and the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.
He advises clients on developing and protecting their intellectual property. He counsels clients on strategic plans for managing, enforcing, and defending trademarks relating from coaching services to apparel to nutritional supplements. Scott has litigated copyright and trademark and cases in federal courts, arbitration, and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Scott has broad experience in trademark clearance, registration, and enforcement of trademark rights through litigations, oppositions, and other proceedings.
Read More About Scott Brenner
Scott advises clients on selecting and clearing trademarks, obtaining trademark registrations. He enforces and defends his clients’ trademark rights. Scott regularly negotiates settlements and works with clients to achieve alternative, practical outcomes to avoid disputes, where possible.
Before joining Thomas P. Howard LLC, Scott served as an intern in the University of Cincinnati Office of Intellectual Property. There he led IP assessment and valuation meetings with attorneys, professors, and university administration. He advised the office on open- and closed-source licenses for a university software project and drafted software licensing and governance recommendations.
Scott clerked for an Ohio Common Pleas trial court judge for more than two years, managing every aspect of 400+ case civil docket, including conducting scheduling conferences, setting trial dates, hearing dates, and discovery deadlines, as well as working with counsel and the litigants to resolve minor disputes. As a trial court clerk, he drafted hundreds of decisions and orders.
As a Legal Intern in University of Cincinnati, Office of Intellectual Property, Scott Brenner led IP assessment and valuation meetings with attorneys, professors, and university administration. He researched open- and closed-source licenses for a university software project and drafted software licensing and governance recommendations.
Recent Intellectual Property Litigation Matters
- Scott is currently litigating copyright infringement claims in federal court arising from the unauthorized use of hundreds of promotion videos.
- Scott successfully settled claims for copyright infringement on behalf of a content creator related to travel and entertainment services.
- Scott achieved a successful settlement of claims for copyright infringement of sales presentation.
Other Intellectual Property Litigation Matters
- Scott achieved a successful settlement of claims for copyright infringement on behalf of a client accused of infringing a first responder training program.
- Scott achieved a successful settlement of claims for domain name infringement, including the recovery by his client of the infringing domain name.
- Scott participated in the successful representation of homebuyers accused of infringing copyrighted architectural works, including the successful dismissal of the case and an award of attorney’s fees under the U.S. Copyright Act.
Recent Business and Civil Litigation Matters
- Scott won a summary judgment on a $750,000 claim for liquidated damages.
University of Cincinnati
Juris Doctor, 2009 cum laude
Honors: Member of the Moot Court Board and Trial Advocacy Participant
Honors: Order of the Barristers, University of Cincinnati College of Law
University of Arizona
B.A. – 1995
Ohio, 2009 (Inactive)
Federal District Court, District of Colorado
Colorado Super Lawyers – Rising Star, 2019
Boulder County Legal Services Pro Bono Award 200-300 hours
Colorado Bar Association
Boulder Bar Association